Tuesday, August 23, 2016

I've Got Sand in All the Wrong Places Book Review


I've Got Sand in All the Wrong Places by Lisa Scottline & Francesca Serritella

Click here for the Amazon product page.
Click here for the Barnes and Noble product page.
Click here for the Books-a-Million product page.

Blurb:

Lisa and Francesca are back with another collection of warm and witty stories that will strike a chord with every woman. This six book series is among the best reviewed humor books published today and has been compared to the late greats, Erma Bombeck and Nora Ephron. Delia Ephron said of the fifth book in the series, Have a Nice Guilt Trip, "Lisa and Francesca, mother and daughter, bring you the laughter of their lives once again and better than ever. You will identify with these tales of guilt and fall in love with them and fierce (grand) Mother Mary." This seventh volume will not disappoint as it hits the humorous and poignant note that fans have come to expect from the beloved mother-daughter duo. 

Review by Brittany:

This book is much different than anything else I usually read, but I'm so glad that I requested in on NetGalley! Lisa Scottoline is an author I completely adore when it comes to her fiction, but this is my first experience with her non-fiction. Francesca is her daughter, which adds a neat touch to the book.

I laughed out loud many times while reading this book. Lisa and Francesca have a way of looking at the world that is so honest and also so funny. Even when they're discussing a situation that is less than funny, like Francesca getting mugged, they can still find the funny and the lightness in the situation.

I also was so amazed at just how real these women are. When it comes to authors or other "famous" people, you can't help but think that they don't experience life the same way as you. That they don't have the same feelings about things or the same responses to situations. And I'm younger than both of them (sorry!), so there's some life experience because of age that I haven't had and some because of location - living in a semi-small town in central Texas is not the same as living in Philly or Manhattan I bet. But I could still relate to a lot of what they wrote about, which quickly made this book one of my favorites.

I also now have the desire to read every single one of Lisa Scottline's fiction books, even the ones I've read before. When you learn about an author as a person, it draws you in. At least, that's my experience.

Overall, this is worth picking up. It's humorous and light-hearted, just a really fantastic read. I definitely recommend.

Notable quotes:

We forget that the difference in perspective is simply a difference, and not all differences are wrong. 

Sometimes the only silver lining you get is to get through it.

It takes practice. All risk does, and all change. The more changes you make, the easier it is to change.

My closest girlfriends don't tell me the truth. They flatter me and build me up, and I like that about them.

A child is a beloved responsibility. But a responsibility just the same.

I also cried the last time, when it was the end before the end - that wretched, miserable time when you both know a relationship is on its last legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment