Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Pillow Thoughts Book Review


Pillow Thoughts by Courtney Peppernell

Click here for the Amazon product page.
Click here for the Books-a-Million product page.
Click here for the Barnes and Noble product page.

Blurb:

Pillow Thoughts is a collection of poetry and prose about heartbreak, love, and raw emotions. It is divided into sections to read when you feel you need them most.

Review by Brittany:

Poetry usually isn't my thing, but after skimming through a collection in a bookstore, I decided to give it another go. I found Pillow Thoughts on NetGalley and decided to request a copy of it.

I'm really so glad that I did. I'm a big fan of those heart-wrenching ballads of the 90s, the kind of songs that make you want to ugly cry because you can relate to longing and the heartbreak. This collection is a lot like that. There were so many of the poems that I felt like I could relate to, which to me makes a reading experience that much more enjoyable.

I also liked that Peppernell wrote with such rawness. Through so much of this collection, there's no second guessing the meaning or need to analyze, which is what I typically struggle with when it comes to poetry. She outlines feelings and thoughts exactly, throwing in some beautiful imagery along the way.

If you're a reader like me who typically goes for the straight-forwardness of fiction, you can give this collection a shot. I think it's worth it!

Notable quotes:

But the world goes on even when lovers go their separate ways.

When did you become so tired of us?

I'm caught somewhere between moving on and holding on and not knowing which one I can handle best.

I am no more the person that you left than you are the person I miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment