Tuesday, September 1, 2015

A Matter of Fate Book Review


A Matter of Fate by Heather Lyons


Blurb:

Chloe Lilywhite struggles with all the normal problems of a typical seventeen-year-old high school student. Only, Chloe isn't a normal teenage girl. She's a Magical, part of a secret race of beings who influence the universe. More importantly, she's a Creator, which means Fate mapped out her destiny long ago, from her college choice, to where she will live, to even her job. While her friends and relatives relish their future roles, Chloe resents the lack of say in her life, especially when she learns she's to be guarded against a vengeful group of beings bent on wiping out her kind. Their number one target? Chloe, of course.

That's nothing compared to the boy trouble she's gotten herself into. Because a guy she's literally dreamed of and loved her entire life, one she never knew truly existed, shows up in her math class, and with him comes a twin brother she finds herself inexplicably drawn to.

Chloe's once unyielding path now has a lot more choices than she ever thought possible.

Review by Brittany:

I wanted to love this book. As a fan of YA paranormal, this one sounded right up my alley. But something about it just didn't work for me.

I think part of the problem is that there was too much going on. The author had a good idea for Annar and did good society building, but it was almost overshadowed by the love triangle that was being forced on the reader. There were a lot of characters who had different abilities and served different purposes, and it was just a lot of information thrown up front.

The love triangle definitely didn't work for me. I was uncomfortable with Chloe switching off between twin brothers, trading one in for the other at her whim. The brothers also seemed relatively unbothered as they kept forgiving her each time. I also wish the author had done more to develop her relationship with either brother instead of just saying it was fated. I think making the relationship something out of the characters' control and putting it on Fate was a bit lazy and meant she didn't have to work too hard to develop anything.

As I mentioned above, I do think there's potential for Annar and the society that the author was building. The different abilities were all interesting to me and there's something about the battle of good and evil that works for me every time I read it. Chloe's powers start to develop more towards the end of the book, setting up more of her capabilities for the rest of the series.

Overall, I felt like this book was so-so. It was fine. The characters weren't great and the story was just okay, but I think there's a lot of potential here. I'm on the fence about reading the next one. If paranormal YA is a favored genre, then go ahead and pick this one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment