Friday, September 18, 2015

Soulless Book Review


Soulless by Gail Carriger


Blurb:

Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire - and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

Soulless is the first book of the Parasol Proctectorate series: a comedy of manners set in Victorian London, full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking.

Review by Brittany:

I first wanted to read this book because of the gorgeous cover! I'm also a fan of paranormal books, so this one seemed right up my alley.

The first thing I noticed is that the writing style fits the time period of the book. This was an interesting adjustment for me since most of what I read is written in a more modern style. Once I adjusted to the style, reading it was easy. This author knows how to slip in humor without being in your face about it, and I found myself laughing out loud at some parts of the book. There is one sex scene in the book, and even that scene made me laugh. It wasn't overly graphic and the author clearly doesn't take herself too seriously, and I loved the way she wrote that scene.

This author also did some excellent world building with describing the supernatural set and how they function in society. The way Alexia interacts with them as a preternatural was an interesting twist on the typical paranormal book. The author also took a huge cast of characters and gave each of them enough of their own personality to make them stand out and be easily distinguishable from one another.

This book reminded me of The Mortal Instruments, but for the adult age. Since I was a fan of that series, this was a nice, more age appropriate option for me. I already have the next in the series and am looking forward to reading it. I definitely recommend for readers who like paranormal novels and are looking for one that's not exactly like everything else out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment